Are you immune to ads, to blogs suggesting you need more?
Mantra of the Mindful Consumer
- I will only buy things that I need.
- I will only buy things that I have budgeted for.
- For things I am considering buying or planning to buy:
- I will only buy things that I envision having for at least five years.
- I will only buy things that I really, truly love or that intrigue me.
- I will end the year with either the same amount of possessions I started the year with or with fewer possessions.
- I will gift or donate possessions
- that I haven't worn or used in over a year.
- that I need to have altered before it fits or fixed before it works.
Challenge GuidelinesEach time you're tempted to get something you don't need or that's not in the budget, remind yourself of what you have. In the month of November,
- Record each personal or nonessential item that you buy and its cost. Clothing, makeup, accessories, home decor, gadgets, etc. are counted. Food, garbage bags, cleaning supplies, etc. aren't counted.
- Keep yourself accountable. Each time you're tempted to get something you don't need:
- Tweet what you want with what you're thankful for with the hash tag #havenotwantchallenge
- Share a photo collage of what you want with what you're thankful for on Instagram use the hash tag #havenotwantchallenge
- Share your "true" savings for November. Record each item that you wanted, but didn't need and didn't purchase, write it and its cost down. Remember to include sales tax. Tally the avoided purchases to calculate how much you saved. Unlike "savings" from retail sales, this translates to an increase of actual money in your savings account.
- Share your purchase history for November. Katie has shared her August and September purchase histories.
Gretchen of What Arabella Did
Vanessa of Finding that Place Called Home
Becca of The Dabblist
Wendy of Tales of Two
Tania of Maui Shop Girl
Lydia of Seeking Querencia
Jt Clough of Maui Dog Remedies
Rabbi Adar aka The Coffee Shop Rabbi
Nicola of Little Miss Tweedie Bird
Jaclyn of Little Paper Trees
Add your name to the comments below.