16 months meant mobility. 16 months meant less time sitting in our laps being read to. 16 months meant seemingly never ending chases punctuated by brief pauses to change direction. 16 months meant savoring the time Gates did want to be with us.
Gates began taking tentative steps before 16 months. 16 months marked the moment Gates started walking with people other than mom (me) watching. And, no longer does Gates keep a hand free to steady herself, she now grabs two toys, one in both hands and off she goes. Each day she grows more independent. She can now rock herself in both her rocker and in an adult-sized rocking chair.
From my mom's notes:
- July 5th, 2013: "Wanted shoes on. Was trying to put toys on her feet! Played and walked "on-off" game with Shoes! Loves to walk holding fingers 2 handed -- fast. Will now try holding one handed walking!" ... "Walked and walked! Taking many steps by self at a time!" ... "Steps off with pride!"
- July 6th, 2013: "Shoes on after breakfast for 1/2 hr." ... "Walked, played with puzzles."
- July 8th, 2013: "Wants to spend her time walking." ... "Walks by self from couch to small table across living room to Grandpa! Walks 1 handed from couch to her room!"
- July 12th, 2013: "Loves to play on her '2 pc slide/steps' with her toys!"
- July 22nd, 2013: "Loves to sit, hold on and rock large rocking chair."
- July 26th, 2013: "Practices walking with a toy in each hand."
- July 30th, 2013: "Practices walking. Carrying; put down; pick up; off we go!"
When did you notice your Little One becoming independent?
Each month it gets more challenging to get Gates to sit still for her portrait. This month a series of action shots best told her story. Additional candids of Gates from last month, some of which were shared on Instagram, but most not shared previously, have been added to The First Two Years Flickr gallery.
P.S. Don't feel like commenting? Strike up a conversation with me elsewhere: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest.
Credits: All layouts designed by and images taken by Eden Hensley Silverstein for The Road to the Good Life.
Monthly Snapshot is a monthly series, published on either the second or fourth Monday of each month, depending on whether Gates has a well baby check up or not, that chronicles Gates' growth during her first twenty four months. This series was inspired by Nicole Balch of Making it Lovely's series for her two children: Eleanor and August.