It's said breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But day in and day out, rushing to get out the door, it can become a little bland. The same old, same old.
So why not grab some fresh apples (or pears) and whip up a pitcher of yogurt smoothies instead of grabbing a breakfast burrito or fruit-filled pastry?
When cubes was recovering from his surgery and couldn't eat solid foods, I had to get creative when it came to breakfast to be sure he got essential nutrients and proteins. That meant experimenting with yogurt!
I made this smoothie twice for cubes, once with whole milk and once with cold brewed almond milk coffee. cubes preferred the smoothie with the almond milk as the bitterness of the coffee brought out more of the sweetness in the fruit.
Like most of my recipes, this one also doesn't call for any refined sugars or artificial sweeteners. If you like your smoothies on the sweeter side, you'll want to use ripe bananas and dry-farmed apples. Dry-farmed apples are sweeter and have more flavor than traditionally grown apples. If dry-farmed apples aren't available or it's not the peak of apple season, add either maple syrup or honey to sweeten.
This smoothie tastes best chilled and thick in consistency--like that of a milkshake. For a creamy smoothie opt for whole milk or almond milk versus 2% or non-fat milk.
Ingredients for Apple Banana Smoothies
(makes about 2 quarts)
- 2 bananas, ripe, sliced
- 4 dry-farmed apples, peeled and cored, diced
- 2 cups strawberry yogurt
- 2 cups whole milk or 1 3/4 cups cold brewed almond milk coffee
Instructions for Making Your Apple Banana Smoothie
(prep time: about 15 minutes)
- Put half of the bananas, apples, and yogurt into your blender.
- Pulse until bananas and apples are pureed.
- Switch to liquefy.
- While the blender is on, open the lid insert, and slowly add half of the milk or cold brewed almond milk coffee.
- When the mixture is smooth, stop the blender and pour into a carafe.
- Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
- If your mixture is room temperature, place in your fridge until chilled. Before serving, stir to incorporate the milk.
Because this smoothie is best chilled, it's the perfect makeahead breakfast. If you're making a batch to consume later, don't add the cold brewed almond milk coffee until you're ready to drink.
Credits: All layouts designed by and images taken by Eden Hensley Silverstein for The Road to the Good Life.