Gates loves to help in the kitchen. When she was putting everything into her mouth this could be somewhat challenging. Now it's less of a challenge, but with these vegan chocolate chip cookies, you don't have to worry about your little one ingesting raw egg.
Refined-sugar free. Dairy-free. Vegan. Three words that will have a little one turning up their nose before they ever take a taste. But these cookies are sure to be a crowd pleaser. Gates wanted to eat the batter instead of shape and bake a batch of cookies.
I know what you're thinking, refined-sugar free, vegan cookies that a child will love? These are those cookies. And don't take my word for it, you can see for yourself how my helper couldn't keep her hands out of the photos while I taking the hero shots. Unlike most vegan cookies, these treats actually have a crisp edge and crumble when you bite into them versus the typical chewy texture most vegan cookies have. I think the key is the addition of baking powder.
If it's your first time cooking with your little one, review tips I shared on Positively Oakes. Preparation is key making the experience fun for both you and your little one.
Recipe: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Difficulty: Easy
- Total Time: 20 minutes without a little one, 30 to 40 minutes with an assistant
- Yield: 1 dozen
Ingredients You Need for a Dozen Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup Unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/4 cup Maple sugar crystals
- 1/4 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/3 cup Pure maple syrup Grade B
- 1/4 teaspoon Blackstrap molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Pure, alcohol-free, vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 cup Barley Malt Sweetened, Non-Dairy Chocolate Chips
How to Make Your Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together Unbleached White Flour, Baking Powder, and Baking Soda.
- Add Maple Sugar Crystals and Salt. Stir until well incorporated. Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine Pure Maple Syrup, Blackstrap Molasses, and Pure Vanilla Extract.
- Add EVOO. Stir until well incorporated.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir until just incorporated, do not over mix. If the mixture is a little dry, slowly add the reserved EVOO.
- Place large spoonfuls of batter onto the parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Flatten each cookie a little.
- Bake for ten minutes or until just golden. If your oven has hot spots, rotate your baking sheet after five minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the parchment paper onto a baking rack for cooling.
Credits: All layouts designed by and images taken by Eden Hensley Silverstein for The Road to the Good Life.