As a mom I'm always looking for great, make ahead breakfasts. When that convenience can be prepped by a little even better! This gluten-free, dairy-free overnight french toast casserole will be a welcome addition to your morning routine.
This recipe is perfect for kids who want to bring their mom or dad breakfast in bed for Mother's Day or Father's Day--just be sure to get the other parent to supervise use of the oven.
Ingredients (Feeds Six to Eight)
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance, melted
- 1 loaf of Udi's Gluten-Free White Sandwich Bread(*affiliate link)
- 1/2 cup, Maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon, Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon, Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup, Pecans, chopped
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup, Almond milk
- 1 teaspoon, Vanilla
Instructions for Making Overnight French Toast Casserole (15 minutes prep time; 50 minutes cook time)
- Melt Earth Balance and pour in a Glass 6 x 9 Inch Mini 1 Quart Baking Pan (*affiliate link).
- In small bowl, combine maple sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pecans. Set aside.
- In batter bowl, whisk together, beaten eggs, almond milk, and vanilla.
- Cover the bottom of the baking pan with the bread pieces.
- Sprinkle a third of the sugar mixture over the bread.
- Create a second layer of bread and sprinkle with a third of the sugar mixture.
- If all the bread fits in two layers, pour the egg mixture over the bread slices. Be sure that all slices are coated evenly. Sprinkle all of the remaining sugar mixture on to the top of the bread.
- If you have bread left over, create a third layer of bread. Pour the egg mixture over the bread slices, coated all slices thoroughly. Sprinkle with the rest of the sugar mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate the casserole overnight.
- In the morning, position your top oven rack in the center of your oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and place in the oven.
- Bake the casserole for 30 minutes.
- Then bake uncovered for 15 minutes until the French Toast casserole is browned and set.
- Optionally, pour maple syrup over the top of the casserole and return to the oven.
- Turn your oven to broil, and broil for 5 to 7 minutes or until the top is caramelized.
Credits: All layouts designed by and images taken by Eden Hensley Silverstein for The Road to the Good Life.
DISCLOSURE: This post contains affiliate links, followed by (*affiliate link). I feature products that I own or that I am considering purchasing. All opinions presented are my own.
The Road To The Good Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.