Gates has taken over The Station; it's no longer cubes' and my flat, but our family's flat. Her toys and books are in every space. Most of Wednesdays are spent cruising back and forth between in the front room and her room chasing SpriteKat or retrieving toys or books. I still can't believe I ever thought I could make our one bedroom Edwardian apartment work.
While never one to sit still, motoring at a very early age, Gates is now constantly on the go. Some mornings we're barely able to keep up with her as she's up and chanting "Go Go" before we've had our first sips of coffee. (My parents probably appreciate on those early mornings that we try to keep Gates occupied before heading out the door at a more reasonable hour.) Wondering how I got her to sit still for this month's portrait? I used her love of cameras, giving her one of my vintage cameras that I use occasionally as a prop.
One of the highlights of April was Gates' first trip to the Farmer's Market (where I got pictures of where we went, but none of her or cubes). She loved the people watching and the tastes (her favorite bites were the Artichoke and Olive Spread from Home Maid Ravioli Company, Pork Loin from Jablow's Meats, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Pumpkin Bread from Flour Chylde Bakery, and Pickled Cauliflower from Jarred). With her love of food, it makes sense that one of her favorite toys right now is a kitchen her Gammy got her.
Gates is a budding foodie, and prefers ripe, local, fresh from the field fruit, returning less ripe, less sweet bites to her plate. Some of the foods she's been eating besides oranges, strawberries, and blueberries are:
- April 4, 2013: "Breakfast Frittata with egg, country potatoes, green onion, and bacon with toasted rosemary bread."
- April 12, 2013: "Tried Pork chop. Tried sweet potato and squash. Ate 1/2 of a large mushroom."
- April 16, 2013: "1/4 of an Egg Bagel at breakfast and dinner."
- April 22, 2013: "Green and white Fettuccine with tomato mushroom sauce and chicken. Fed most of food to herself. Wanted it on fork like Grandpa!"
- April 26, 2013: "Minced Honey Baked Ham, Maple Cured Chicken with 1/2 a piece of French Bread and Spanish Rice. She forked or picked up most of lunch. Food on fork -- she delivered to her mouth. Tries to form food!"
Another highlight was Gates' discovery of her shadow. It was fun watching her move this way and that as she stared at her shadow following along. Here's a more exhaustive rundown from my mom's notes as to what Gates has been up to:
- April 4, 2013: "Worked hard at splashing!"
- April 9, 2013: "Played 'Camel's Bells.' Can reach two sleigh bells and not use attached string to make them ring! Loved checking beads out."
- April 12, 2013: "Stood by self with toys!"
- April 16, 2013: "Play with toys on slide. 'Down they go!' Sets them up on the steps."
- April 19, 2013: "Artwork: Holding crayons and colored pencils."
- April 22, 2013: "Washed self and toys!"
- April 23, 2013: "Played and danced most of morning. Excited about the 'Wiggles' Group. Added her music to theirs!"
- April 24, 2013: "Stands free often to play. Will take 1 to 2 steps not holding on!"
- April 26, 2013: "Splashed to watch drops slide down side of tub!"
How did you spend April?
Miss highlights of Gates' first year? Here's are links to the rest of the series: Our Labor Story; The First Portrait at Two Months; Gates at Three Months; Four Months; Five Months; A New Normalcy as Gates Turns Six Months; SpriteKat loses the safety of vertical spaces at Seven Months; First Tooth and Solid Foods at Eight Months; Ten Months; No more child-sized silverware at Eleven Months; Twelve Months; and Gates' First Birthday Party.
Considering doing something similar to chronicle your little one's development? Check out my tips before you start, and learn why there's no portrait for nine months. Trust me, it'll make your life so much easier.
P.S. Are you following The Road to The Good Life on Google Reader? Don't wait until July 1st when Google Reader shuts down to chose a new RSS reader. Consider making the switch to Bloglovin today. Follow my blog with Bloglovin.
In The Nursery is a monthly series, published on either the second or fourth Monday of each month, depending on whether Gates has a well baby check up or not, that chronicles Gates' growth during her first twenty four months. This series was inspired by Nicole Balch of Making it Lovely's series for her two children: Eleanor and August.